Friday, February 18, 2011

Farts and School

We aren't ones to discuss flatulent acts here at the Ciske home. We don't promote it, encourage it, or talk about it... but it happens. FARTS happen!
Recently for a reading lesson we played a varied version of "Scrabble Slam". I would make easy 3 letter words for Lily to read quickly, then change the easy word to a "harder" word that Zech could sound out. Then with the final cards in my hand I noticed I could spell the word "FART" So I laid it down and told Lily it was a "Challenge word" (she's 4 remember?) So she begins to sound it out. FFFFFAAARRRRTTTT! She begins laughing hysterically and Zech yells FART! We all laughed we even sang a rhyming song for the word "Art, Smart, Cart, wonderific its terrific, Part, Mart, Dart, Wonderific its terrific FART!" The kids were rolling on the floor, I was laughing, it was a GREAT reading/rhyming lesson!
For the rest of the week, I could contain the "toot" talk, and we went on with our lives. Today though the kids wanted something special for breakfast. I searched the cabinet and offered them a granola bar. Then realized it was a Fiber One granola bar. So I warned them that it may make them toot more, or have to go potty a lot. (which is what we need for one of them... don't you know moms think about their children's regularity). When school started today was just about the time the fiber one bars began their work in Lily.
She in one room, Zech in another as I TRIED to teach him lessons on subtraction. She passes gas, he giggles. I ignored. But it got too much for him to handle. I told him he needed to get control or he'd be sent to him room prolonging the end of school. He ended up in his room. Only to return to crack up laughing when he opened his mouth.
Again to his room. Came back in opened his mouth to answer a problem only to find that laughter spilled out. Who knew toots were so so hilarious. Eventually I gave up, sent him to his desk to finish a stack of worksheets (some of which we usually do as part of the lesson). He diligently works, comes back for a quick check of his papers. When I send him back to make some corrections, he begins to complain. So I tell him "Just imagine your sister FARTING"... he finished his work as he laughed.
School has to be fun, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment