Saturday, October 2, 2010

He disciplines those He loves.

5"My son, do not make light of the Lord's discipline,
      and do not lose heart when he rebukes you,
 6because the Lord disciplines those he loves,
      and he punishes everyone he accepts as a son."
 7Endure hardship as discipline; God is treating you as sons. For what son is not disciplined by his father?" Hebrews 12: 5-7

I've heard this verse a thousand times. Have used it to encourage myself when I feel like I am being disciplined by God. I love that its a sign that I am an heir of Christ. That I belong to Him, he is my father, my daddy.
But I've never looked at this verse and examined why I discipline. Do I discipline my children because I love them. Do I show that love in each form of discipline? Before having kids, Dave and I had discussed our goals for discipline. I was taught in college that you (within a classroom) discipline to teach correct behavior. So we had decided to incorporate that within our household. We discipline with the intention of teaching correct behavior (or saying "we don't do that") And we try to reevaluate to see if  a punishment is needed in certain areas. We would like to always give a reason for each form of discipline (how else will they learn).
That being said... have you met our kids? I have two very strong willed (and possibly a third!) children. It takes LOTS of discipline, lots of reevaluating, and LOTS of consistency. We have to many times weigh the importance of being consistent with the realization that maybe that technique is not working! And it can be SO hard at times. And I know we get angry, and act out of that anger when it gets overbearing! But am I still disciplining in love. I sure hope so. I love my children, I want them to be obedient children, I want them to behave in such a way that shows they are respectful, considerate, compassionate, godly God-pleasers. So I discipline them to try to teach how to become that kind of child. And many times we go through phases where it seems like all we do is discipline. It breaks my heart. I know my children, I know what works with them, and I know that nothing happens quickly... so I find myself grieving over their misbehavior. I wait until they are sound asleep in their beds and I tiptoe in, pick them up, and cuddle with them, praying over them. I tell them (whether they are awake or not) that obeying mommy and daddy is practice for them as they get older and will be obeying more of God's commands. I rub their heads, caress their faces and ask God to create who He wants in them. And I cry. I cry for their behavior. I cry over the disobedience, the negative days, the rift it causes in our relationship with them.
Then I realize, God does this too. He grieves when we disobey. He cries tears of sorrow at the trials we drag ourselves into by turning from God's ways. God teaches us to behave in such a way that shows that we are respectful, considerate, compassionate and godly God-pleasers, and it saddens Him when we choose not to act in those teachings. He disciplines because He loves us. He grieves because He loved us so much that he died for us. He desires well behaved children. And I believe He beacons us back with every touch, every tear, every whisper to us even in our sleep.
Thank You, God. Teach me, I want to obey you!

**PS. as my children get older, those phases of disobedience become less and less, and I look towards God and ask "Does this mean I did it well?" But am reminded we have the teen years yet to come (and for Ruby haven't even begun yet!) Oh, God, be my help! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment