Saturday, October 2, 2010

Homeschool Saved My Life.

I've had this blog on my mind for a while now, and although I have something else on my mind, I wanted to go ahead and finish one complete thought before heading on to the other. :)

I actually put this title on my Facebook status and it was kinda  taken the wrong way, and that way is not what I am talking about. I have my own opinions on WHY I homeschool, but when I voice those reasons I tend to offend those that don't have the same opinions. So, its better left between me and my husband, the two that are actually making decisions for our kids. But no, this is a much lighter topic. Here I go...

I can not work in messiness. (And sometimes I can not make up better sounding words!) I've always had to clean before doing any kind of project. So I can not teach in a messy/cluttered area as well, nor do I expect the kids to do so either. So I had to come up with a plan to clean, prepare, and teach a 5 year old, a 3 year old and entertain a 8month old.
So, not that I am some future fly lady, but for me, I figured out a plan that will work for the easy smooth running of our school day. I wake up early enough (but not TOO early,  I don't like getting up really early) to tidy up and prepare my lessons (getting materials out, printing sheets from websites). Then I make the kids' lunches. They love it! I love it! I love that once we finish school, the kids grab their lunch boxes and find a place to eat. I then do a quick pick up from the school area... and all the things Ruby has gotten herself into while I was preoccupied. And then when nap time comes around, I can sit back, kidless, and enjoy my lunch in the peace and quiet clean house!
Can you see how this homeschool has saved my life? see, told you it was a very light topic! It is so organized, so structured, so fun, gives me extra time for Bible Study, for phone calls, for a NAP! And when people drop by, I don't have to be completely embarrassed at my house.
I walk around much happier, calmer, I have more fun and have one on one time with each kid (that has proven to be priceless). For me, this is something I have attempted many times before, without any success. So its great for me. All it took was homeschooling... wait, huh?
Okay, maybe it wasn't homeschooling. Maybe it was the fact that I felt led by God to homeschool from the very beginning, and for the past 5 years have wavered back and forth with my decision. I'd tell myself that I couldn't do it, that I was cheating my kids, that they would be stupid (or illiterate). I would tell myself we'd just do private school, when all along I knew I was being told to homeschool. Once I obeyed, it all fell into place. I covered it in prayer, trusted God (which was a HUGE theme in my life for a good while) and said "YES!" So, homeschool didn't put the extra bounce in my step, the extra energy in my day, the special organization in our lifestyle... it was the pure act of obedience. Its a GREAT feeling to obey. Its a great feeling knowing that I am doing exactly what I am supposed to do. No one has to agree with why, or how I do it. No one has to approve of my teaching strategies... no one but God. And its so freeing to please Him. He saved my life... in so many ways!

No comments:

Post a Comment