Monday, January 2, 2012

Preventive Measures

It’s been said that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. I'm sure this is true as it comes to being and staying productive. Not letting the house get overwhelmingly cluttered, messy, and unkempt will definitely affect my productivity level for the day/week/month! So I want to learn ways to prevent being unproductive. Today I read this article
http://stress.about.com/od/stressmanagementtools/a/time_management.htm. I googled "Time Management for Moms" because, lets face it, we all have 24 hours in a day, but we don't all have 4 children 6 years and under. I enjoyed reading it and brainstorming (while I cleaned my bathroom) ways to put each into practice. They are nuggets I've known before, but not really thought about...

  • Simply being organized can eliminate stress
    • So today, I organized. Dave had the day off, I let him deal with the babies. We didn't have school, so I took my time organizing and cleaning as I went. Bigger task than I expected!
  • being organized with your schedule, with your house and with your discipline strategy is one of the best time management tips I can give you.
    • This is something I will be sitting down and writing out tonight. I used to have a written schedule, but we got WAY away from it... I may be pulling that back out.
  • DELEGATE
    • There is another article that I will be reading tomorrow about creative ways to delegate tasks to others in your house. One thing I've learned in the last few months is this: Complaining does not mean asking! I want to really work on asking for help instead of stomping my feet, raising my voice and throwing a fit!
  •  Pair mindless tasks with focus-dependent ones when it’s appropriate.
    • Sounds fun!!!
  •  it’s important to look at your priorities and learn to say no to time demands that aren’t absolutely necessary.
    • I have a newborn that needs me. He needs to just be held, talked to, and cuddled. It is down time that is important. I don't want a clean house, organized school days, and a scheduled day at the expense of missing out on seeing my kids grow up.
  • Take Shortcuts
    • I like this... again, another article to read on this one... I may be reading that one soon!
  • When you don’t have to worry about reinventing the wheel each week (“What haven’t we eaten in a while?” “When was this floor last mopped?” “When is the last time we…?”), your mind is free to focus on the rest of your day, and the time it takes to plan these things each week is freed as well.
    • Again, a written schedule... I love this!
  •   Having a rhythm for your day but a time cushion and some backup plans can take the stress out of the unexpected, and keep one schedule hiccup from throwing off your whole day (or week).
    • Aha! Back up plans... as opposed to having NO food to feed your family when you drop all of dinner on the bottom of your very neglected, unclean oven... not that I've ever done that (ok, I did it TONIGHT!)
  • When we’re tired or haven’t had enough healthy food to function at our best, we’re often less productive and organized, and this lack of clarity can translate into more time wasted throughout the day and less time available to get everything done that needs doing.
    • Noted!
And let me add a few more things... 1. (which I failed to do today because I woke up late, due to a wonderful hubby who let me sleep in on his last day of Christmas vacation!WHAT A GUY!) I think its important to start your day off with some God. Worship music, or devotional reading, or prayer, or Bible Reading, or all of the above! It just makes things go smoother, or at least you can have the patience when they don't!
Secondly, I think for me, getting up and getting going is the key. If I get up and sit around on the couch and watch tv, I will lack the motivation I need. I need to get up, and get going on the things of the day. Rest can come in the afternoon.
So.. the end of day 2. I stayed away from Facebook, I organized, cleaned, and plan on doing a little bit of Birthday party prep before my bedtime of 10pm!
So far, so good.... But then again, its just day 2!

No comments:

Post a Comment